Cana, in today’s Kafr Kanna, is the place where the miracle of the Marriage at Cana was performed by Jesus.
Here you will find everything you need to know before visiting this holy city!
- Why is Cana important?
- Where is Cana located?
- What are the main Christian attractions in Cana?
- What should I know before visiting Cana?
- Are there any fun facts about Cana?
Why is Cana important?
In this very place, Jesus performed his very first public miracle!
In the Gospel of John – according to the account Jesus, his mother and his disciples are invited to a wedding. When the wine runs out, Jesus delivers a sign of his divinity by turning water into wine.
The miracle, known as Marriage at Cana or Wedding at Cana, happened right here in Kafr Kanna.
Cana is also mentioned as the hometown of the Apostle Bartholomew, as “Nathanael of Cana” in John 21:2.
Where is Cana located?
The city is located In the north of Israel, in the area known as Lower Galilee, about 6 km (4 mi) north-east of Nazareth.
What are the main Christian attractions in Cana?
The main Christian attractions in Cana include:
- Wedding Church – a Franciscan church that commemorates the miracle performed by Jesus.
The current church was built circa 1881, and expanded from 1897-1905. The Franciscans had been trying to acquire the site between 1641 and 1879, when acquisition was finally completed. Talk about dedication!
- Church of St George – a Greek Orthodox church that commemorates the miracle performed by Jesus.
- Roman Catholic Chapel of the Apostle Bartholomew – a Franciscan church that commemorates the place where Apostle Bartholomew used to live. Note that this chapel is usually closed.
What should I know before visiting Cana?
Despite the fact that over 800,000 tourists visit Cana (Kafr Kanna) every year, there are no hotels located there. Kind of weird, isn’t it?
Are there any fun facts about Cana?
- Two former Members of the Knesset (that is, Members of the Israeli Parliament) live in Kafr Kanna.
- Kafr Kanna has 3 soccer teams, despite only having a population of 23,000 people.