Mount of Beatitudes is the place where Jesus delivered the Sermon on the Mount. In addition to its amazing architecture, it offers some of the best views to the Sea of Galilee.
Here you will find everything you need to know before visiting this holy site!
- Why is Mount of Beatitudes important?
- Where is Mount of Beatitudes located?
- What are the main Christian attractions in Mount of Beatitudes?
- What should I know before visiting Mount of Beatitudes?
- Are there any fun facts about Mount of Beatitudes?
Why is Mount of Beatitudes important?
This is where Jesus is believed to have delivered the Sermon on the Mount.
The Sermon on the Mount is a collection of sayings and teachings of Jesus Christ, which emphasizes his moral teaching found in the Gospel of Matthew. It is the longest continuous discourse of Jesus found in the New Testament and has been one of the most widely quoted elements of the Canonical Gospels.
The collection includes some of the best-known teachings of Jesus, such as the Beatitudes, and the widely recited Lord’s Prayer. It is generally considered to contain the central tenets of Christian discipleship.
So you can say that Mount of Beatitudes has central importance to Christianity as you know it.
Where is Mount of Beatitudes located?
Mount of Beatitudes is located in the north of Israel, on a mountain with panoramic views to the Sea of Galilee. It is about 6.1 km (3.8 mi.) from Capernaum.
What are the main Christian attractions in Mount of Beatitudes?
The main Christian attractions in Mount of Beatitudes include:
- Church of the Beatitudes – a Roman Catholic church. Both Popes Paul VI and John Paul II celebrated Mass at the church during their pastoral visits to the Holy Land.
- The remains of a Byzantine church, that was erected lower down the slope from the current site in the 4th century, and was used until the 7th century.
- The amazing panoramic view to the Sea of Galilee.
What should I know before visiting Mount of Beatitudes?
The Church of the Beatitudes was built between 1936 and 1938 near the site of the fourth-century Byzantine ruins. The floor plan is octagonal, and each of the eight sides represents one of the eight Beatitudes.
Are there any fun facts about Mount of Beatitudes?
Despite it being a hill, Mount of Beatitudes actually has a negative altitude of around 25 meters below sea level (about negative 82 ft.).
However, it is about 200 meters (656 ft.) above the Sea of Galilee, which makes it one of the lowest summits of the world!